Friday, March 7, 2008

Spoiled

I've often admitted that I'm spoiled - cheap rent, free dinners, good friends, tons of encouragement and attention when needed/wanted, a great boss, and a job I (usually) enjoy a lot. However, I realize that I don't deserve those things, and I *try* to make a point of being thankful for all the incredible blessings I get - so does that mean I'm not spoiled since I don't expect it? Or am I still spoiled because I have all those amazing blessings? What exactly does it mean to be spoiled?

If I lived in a third world country like this I'd say that I was ridiculously, pathetically, richly spoiled. But if I lived in the third world country and had it all but just a room instead of an apartment, no internet, varying speeds of running water, 1/2 of my salary (which I could never live on here), and a steady job - I'd still be considered ridiculously spoiled. But here that would be rather poor and dismal (especially the salary part;-)).

So what does it mean to be spoiled? Is it a state of the world around you, or is it actually a mindset where you think you can always get your own way? I think the answer varies with different people.

I guess I'm left back at the beginning then - I'm spoiled by my surroundings, but boy do I enjoy my life that way!:-)

No comments: