Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Everybody needs a little Greek place

Whenever my mornings are rushed, I can't bring lunch, and it's been one "those days", I call in an order and go to "my little Greek place" for lunch. It's a short drive, but even in the short 10 minutes it takes me to get there and back life is turned back into something more manageable and nothing seems quite as impossible. The first reason why life is better is just because I get outdoors, roll down my windows, and blast music that my coworkers probably don't know exists.:-) And I'm usually singing along - yes, it's scary.

But here's the other reason - it's my little Greek place! When I call in I never say my name, and they never ask (any more:-)) - in fact, I used to be so boring that I wouldn't have to state the order... but then I decided to try some new things and threw them for a loop. The owner, Nick, doesn't know my orders quite as well as the rest of them (Emily has my order before I get to the counter because she sees my car), but he's jovial and almost exactly what you would expect the owner to look like (shorter, not thin, gray, balding, mustache, always smiling). He's one of those nice anti-metropolitan personal types that doesn't pry, but does ask and tell stories and share life with you if you'll let him.:-) You should hear the story he tells about his grandparents leaving Greece on a fishing boat... I can't even try to tell it right, but it's cool.

And yes, the thing that originally caught me there was the food. Feta is inspiring and Greek salad with marinated grilled chicken is amazing. Homemade soup makes colds feel better, and gyros are plentiful for a big meal if anyone wants it... yes, I love my greek place, and I happily wish the same to any and all of my friends.:-)

1 comment:

Jamie Barrows said...

Sounds like a really nice place. I understand all about getting out. For me it’s the Mexican place about two blocks down from my office. Whenever I'm having a bad day, I'll just go for a walk and have a leisurely lunch there. The walk and getting out of the office make the day seem so much better.