Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Just Dreaming

"Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives." - by William Dement

I read that quote today, and I'm not sure that I fully agree with it. First of all, yes, it does create a "safe" way to be insaine and technically it does happen every night (that one sleeps) - but dreams don't always feel that safe... and I don't always want to be "permitted" to be insane.

Has anyone else ever dreaded sleeping because they are afraid of where their mind may take them? Thankfully it doesn't happen often, but through a few stressful periods of my life I just haven't wanted to go to sleep because I'm afraid of what my mind will conjure up next! Yes, most of my dreams are stupid and make no sense, but quite a few of them have caused me to wonder how much of the dream was actually just a dream.

The funny thing is that I rarely have nightmares when my life is normal, only when I'm already in the middle of a stressful situation does my sleep desicde to go crazy. Maybe it's just because I'm not sleeping as well so I wake up before the cycle's over? I don't know, I'm just glad I don't get them much.

Technically, I would much rather just sleep without dreams - it would be so much easier to wake up without having something on your mind... wouldn't it? Who knows, maybe it would get boring after a while.:-)

1 comment:

Jamie Barrows said...

Thanks for the links Charity.