Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Long Faces in Church?

I overheard a conversation on churches this morning as it walked by my desk. They were joking about how no one ever smiles at church - until it's over. But they weren't just joking, one woman was very serious about how people never smile at her church.

Having grown up attending churches that smile (despite the fact that they're Presbyterian;-)), I find that pretty sad. If church is a place where we meet to worship God and recognize what He has done in our lives and what He will do with them - why aren't we smiling about it? And if, like many modern "churches", it's just a community of friends that meet once a week - why don't they at least smile about that? I suppose this woman's church is neither of those and simply one that lives on for the sake of tradition with attendees that keep going for the sake of legalism or tradition. I wish that I could have bumped into the conversation at that moment, but I couldn't.

If you think of it, pray that I get an opportunity to invite her to a church that smiles - and preaches the Word.

3 comments:

Jamie Barrows said...

Ok Charity. You've been slacking long enough. Time to post a new entry.

Jamie Barrows said...

Hey Charity, maybe this is something you should tell your coworkers about. My pastor posted this commentary about smiling on his blog. Just Smile
Seems he noticed the same problem with many of the churches he has visited.

He also gave a shout out to my blog while he was at it.

Susannah said...

okay, I'm caught up. Your turn!